Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
32195369

does cymbalta cause weight gain

does cymbalta cause weight gain?

Thanks for bringing your question to JustAnswer.

Yes, Cymbalta does have weight gain as a listed side effect. The two antidepressants that don't seem to cause most people to gain weight are Prozac (sometimes even causes weight loss) and Wellbutrin. You might want to consider asking your MD to switch you to one of these. (If you are using Cymbalta for pain relief, note that Prozac and Wellbutrin don't have pain relief effects.)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am taking Cymbalta to help with peri-menopausal mood fluctuations. Will Prozac or Well butrin help with this?
Yes, either Prozac or Wellbutrin will be as effective as Cymbalta for those mood fluctuations. Both are antidepressants with long track records of success.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I realize you cannot prescribe a med for me, but what dosage do I need to talk to my doctor about with either Prozac or Wellbutrin? I am currently taking 30mg of the Cymbalta once daily.

30 mg of Cymbalta is the typical starting dose, so he will start you on the appropriate starting dose of the new medication. Here are articles that explain the dosages typically used:

Prozac: http://www.medicinenet.com/fluoxetine/article.htm

Wellbutrin: http://www.drugs.com/dosage/wellbutrin.html