Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.
56283723

I am an Outside Salesman working for an Electrical Engineering

Customer Question

I am an Outside Salesman working for an Electrical Engineering Company. I am 24 years old. When I was 14, I was prescribed to straterra. It made me really sick so I stopped taking it. Prior to being prescribed to stratterra I was tested by a dr. and his results came back that I had add.

I was a bad student. Could never concentrate,couldnt get motivated and couldn't read without my mind wondering. In fact, I still cant.

As an outside salesman I need to be on my wits a self starter. I love what I do because I think I have potential to be good at it. I am also on straight commission.

There are a lot of days where i just want to do nothing, have no desire to do nothing, while knowing I have plenty to do. I just believe there is one thing holding me back which is the ADD. I am willing to go and have myself re evaluated soon.

I have read up on ADD meds like adderrall and vyvance. I have friends that take both products and they say it helps them tremendously.

Your input would be valued.

Thanks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 5 years ago.
I would highly recommend that you see a psychiatrist and discuss your options and concerns with him/her.
The fact that you had a reaction to Strattera has no bearing on how you might react to other medications.

As you know people react differently to the same medication so what works for one may not work for the next, but it is well worth a try.

All you have to loose is the time and money invested in the doctor visit and medication, meanwhile you have so much to potentially gain.

Good for you in your carer choice, progress and success. I hope you can find successful treatment for your symptoms and move on to the next level of your success.

Sincerely,
Mark Manley
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Mark,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have scheduled an appointment with a psychiatrist in Jackson, ms where I live.

Any input on what I should tell him? Or should I tell him the same that I told you?

What can I expect during this session? What do you think the outcome will be?

By the way. Did you get paid?

Good for you regarding your appointment. Yes, tell him what you have told me.
Don't be surprised if the visit is brief and the doctor is not a 'people person' not all psychiatrists are.
For many people a psychiatric visit is anti-climatic as it can tend to be: patient states problem(s), doctor asks a few questions, doctor says lets try (doctor states medication(s)), instructions are given, and follow up appointment is scheduled, the end. Most psychiatric visits don't extend beyond this model and that is OK as long as this is what you are expecting. As for your treatment outcome, I can only hope you find relief from your symptoms.

Best of success to you.

Sincerely,
Mark Manley

Ps. I don't get paid unless you click on 'Accept' , thanks for asking.