Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

I was tested for ADD when I was in high school (2004). The

Customer Question

I was tested for ADD when I was in high school (2004). The doctor prescribed me to straterra. It did not work. I stopped using it. I always had a problem with keeping up in class and the motivation to do the school work was hard to find. I was offered a job out of junior college to be an outside salesman for an industrial electrical engineering and supply company in 2009. I decided to take the job because school got harder and harder. Being in front of people is where my talents are. I am personable and love meeting new people. The work that I do, which is calling on customers face to face all day long is my calling in life, when I can keep my focus and motivation up. I sell very high tech electronic equipment, which requires me to keep up with the latest and greatest products out there. And a lot of times, I just don't have the motivation to sit down and read a product manual because I will be reading the words and thinking about something totally opposite. I have been reading up on the ADD meds Adderall and Vyvance. I feel like they can give me the energy "drive" to make me as successful as I possibly can be. I am willing to go see a Psychiatrist about this matter. Thank you for reading and please let me know what your recomendations are. Male/24

DId not add this, but I need to be out of the house and on the road by 6:30 in the morning as I travel from Manufacturing facility to manufacturing facility.  My job is very intense.  I work on straight commission as well.  I just think that a medical stimulant will help me get up and get out in the morning times and I expect it to help me concentrate on my work all day long.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I completely understand what you are looking for and based on my 30 years of work with ADD and ADHD patients, I concur with your supposition that seeing a Psychiatrist for medication is a great way to deal with the problems you face.

Bill :

You will gain more focus and concentration. There are different stimulants, a couple which you mention and if Straterra did not help, I am sure something else can be identified in consultation with a psychiatrist.

Bill :

I routinely refer people with ADD issues to Child Adolescent Psychiatrists who also see Adults as these specialists have the most experience in understanding and dealing with this ADD and Medication management as they deal with it on a daily basis.

Bill :

For a list of Members of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, go to the following link:

Bill :

Follow prompts at bottom of the page and you can locate someone in your area.

Bill :

Should you have any difficulty locating someone or require further assistance from me, do not hesitate to contact me.

Bill :

Otherwise, I wish you the very best. This will definitely help you.

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME

Bill :

I ALSO APPRECIATE POSITIVE FEEDBACL

Bill :

FEEDBACK

Bill :

Thanks and have a great day!