Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.

I seem to suffer from major depression and am currently taking

I seem to suffer from major depression and am currently taking Cymbalta and Wellbutrin. I have not received any counselling in the past few months. I can't seem to climb out of this depression this time. I seem to need constant reassurance that my life is worthwhile and that I am needed, especially since I lost my job. I am overweight and 55 and no one wants to hire me. Even though people are assuring me that I am loved and needed, why do I still need to have this constant reassurance? Why can't I believe them and believe in myself anymore?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 2 years ago.
Oh life can be very difficult! I am so sorry you are suffering so.

You have four depressing things to deal with.

Clinical Depression

Unemployment with poor job prospects

Overweightness

Your not 30 anymore.

Any one of the above could be a big challenge but you get to deal with all four.

What do you do?

1. Stay on your medications and don't make changes with out consulting with your Doc.

2. Exercise at least 6 days per week. If this has slipped you have to get back on it. Of course if you don't have an exercise plan you should consult with your doctor to formulate one that is right for you.

3. Find ways to be contributive to family, friends, and others. (one lady I know sends encouraging texts to family and friends because some days she has no physical ability to do anything else). Make sure you are doing volunteer work or other activities to enrich the lives of others.

4. Try to validate any small progress in any area of your life as movement in a positive direction and realize that forward is progress no matter how small it may be.

5. Go looking for resources for self helping your depression, search the net under, 'CBT self help for depression' choose some resources that look interesting to you and give them a try. (some are free).

6. Don't give up (even though you feel like it).

I Hope you start using any of the above you are not currently using and continue with the ones you are.

Sincerely,
Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience: Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.