Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I have been looking on line for a woman to date; my question

I have been looking on line for a woman to date; my question is, when it would be the correct time to inform her, that while I was in the navy, I contacted hepatitis-C. Now my situation has changed, and I have stage four (end stage) cirrhosis of the liver. I am not on the transplant list yet, but my doctor is looking at one year or so, until he wants me to get on the list. Only my problem is getting a new liver, does not get rid of the hepatitis-C, it just goes to work on your new liver. With this in mind, I would rather see that the liver go to a much younger person (I am 51), so he can get more use out of it then myself. Telling a woman that you are dying can be a real deal breaker. I feel pretty well right now, thanks to a morphine pump that is implanted in me.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I am so sorry for your difficult situation, and I commend you for your unselfish attitude.

Since you are looking for a woman that is willing to have a relationship cut off sooner than she would like, then it would be best to somehow relate to her that you come with a limited warantee, but you want to have a quality relationship all the same, and that you are not looking for someone to take care of you because you are a vet with full benefits.

You are not going to hook them and then drop them the news and expect them to stay. They will think it unfair.

You have to put it out upfront, in the ad. If they respond then you won't scare them away. You are a good guy with lots of good points. Sell yourself, as is, and if they are interested in who you are you will have to late surprises.

Surprisingly, there are some women who will not care. There may be some who ae in a similar situation and will otherwise not contact you unless they know who you really are.

Honesty is always the best policy, and will bring you the best results.

I wish you well in your quest.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC