How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Bill Your Own Question

Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 3706
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the best way to deal with a friend/exlove that has

Customer Question

What is the best way to deal with a friend/exlove that has Hystrionic Personality Disorder? He fits 38 questions out of the 40 to see how severe the condition is. When is was drinking he would get into a fight with anyone for negative or positive attention, When he became sober (for the past 3 months) he is the total opposite. I understand that has been a trait of his for over 25 years, He goes from being extremely promiscuous when drinking wanting and needing sex from anyone that is female to becoming abstenent when sober.

I am one of the last people that havent figured his mental state so Im the closest to his life. SHORT OF DISONNECTING MY PHONE, WHAT DO I DO TO GET HIM TO REALIZE THAT HE HAS A SEVERE MENTAL CONDITION. -He is on a combination of mood or emotional stabilization meds but I have heard him on the phone schmoozing one woman while clicking over to the other line telling another woman he doesnt really love her and its over. I could imagine the 100's of hearts hes crushed coming off as they are the love of his life then dumping them the next day. WHERE DOES HE START TO SEEK HELP? Where is there a website for best friends/ex-lovers to find closure. PLEASE PLEASE help. HC in NJ
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about your involvement in this relationship and happy to see that you are asking for help on moving on from it. As you well know by now, nothing significant is going to change when you are dealing with someone with a Personality Disorder of this type and in fact, persons with these disorders get worse with age.

Bill :

So moving on is probably a good choice for you and you can do this very successfully. If you need the support of a good therapist, get it as it may be helpful to you. If you want to learn how to do this and find others who have been through the process, at the following link you will find a great deal of helpful information on detaching and moving on plus online support group links so that you can chat with others who have endured similar agonies in relationships.

Bill :

Here is the link:

Bill :

I think you will find what you are looking for here. Should you wish to ask more of me, please feel free to reply and I will respond in timely fashion.

Bill :

Otherwise, I wish you the very best.

Bill :


Bill :


Bill :


Bill :

Thanks and have a great day!


Thanks for the insight Bill. I will pass this information onto his family. For my own mental and emotional state of being I have to move on. I appreciate the website. Helaine

Bill and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.
Helaine- You are most welcome and should the need arise when you wish to reach me again, here is my direct link at


Have a great day. Bill

Here is a link that many people find helpful. Print and read everyday!

If you get a chance, I appreciate your leaving Positive Feedback for me here at justanswer.

Related Mental Health Questions