Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.
56283723

RA-GD

Customer Question

Hi to whom ever, I am a long time sufferer of depression, medications just don't work at all for me, I am at my wits end, I have an appointment with my doctor tommorrow, he suggested ECT, can you tell me the risks and benefits, thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using just Answer.
How miserable it must be for you to have suffered with these symptoms for all these years. I am so sorry.
I will refer you to the most detailed site I know of on the topic and encourage you to read every word.

First I will share with you anecdotally That my grandmother received a form of ECT in the forties and fifties and obtained good results with no side effects. Of course you can not base your decision on one case and there is no guarantee that any two people will respond similarly to treatment. I just share this with you for your interest.
For detailed information on the topic including risks and benefits go to

The above is provided as information only and in no way implies, endorses or recommends any particular course of treatment or medical advice. Consultation with your doctor as per your plan mentioned above is recommended.
Best of success to you.
Sincerely,
Mark Manley
Let me know if you have additional questions on this topic