Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults

my wife stares out the window for HOURS convinced that all

my wife stares out the window for HOURS convinced that all who pass are intent on burglarizing the house. She also is c0onvinced that i am "unclean " and she must "disinfect" every where I go.She is only getting 2-4hours of sleep a day.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Thank you for your question. I have a few questions before providing recommendations. First, when did these behaviors first start? What was happening in her life during this time? Do you fear for her safety? Do you feel she is unable to take care of herself such as feeding or keeping her personal hygiene? If so, please contact 911 and have her hospitalized for her own safety.

Customer:

The serious symptoms started about 6-7 years ago.I feel she fell through the cracks of the system. At first they called it depression and medicated. Then they called it bi-polar and medicated. then it was Paranoid schizophrenia and....she refused to be medicated.

Brad :

I can see how frustrating the process is for your wife to obtain the proper diagnosis.

Brad :

Have you thought about obtaining power of attorney of your wife?

Customer:

She was prescribed drugs like Seroquel...lorazipam...some others that I don't recall. I know that MY co-pay was 900+dollars a month. Don't have the cash any more. I am at wits end.

Brad :

Does she have Medicare?

Customer:

no........

Brad :

or medicaid?

Brad :

Has she applied for Social Security benefits?

Customer:

no...Anthem/Blue cross.....but they consider this a "pre existing condition"...so no coverage.

Customer:

social security said ...no way. Get a lawyer.

Brad :

Typically, social security will deny her application the first time. When you appeal, social security investigates the application further. If she has had a hospitalization and a serious mental illness that is preventing her from working, she will qualify for social security benefits.

Brad :

This will be a long process, however, she will be receiving benefits from when they determined when your wife was diagnosed.

Brad :

If you hire a lawyer, they typically only take 1/3 of the initial lump sum payment

Brad :

I urge you to pursue this for your wife.

Brad :

They will also not take your case if they feel they will not win the case

Customer:

Been there...done that....twice. Can't afford the lawyer any more.

Brad :

What other symptoms does your wife have?

Brad :

and when did this first start?

Customer:

ANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad :

What was the event that triggered her symptoms 6 years ago?

Customer:

I bumped into her in the hallway in the dark while I was not wearing my glasses.

Customer:

I was bitten, struck several times and knocked to the floor.

Brad :

Was this the first time that ever happened?

Customer:

YES

Brad :

What was happening in your life when this happened?

Brad :

Also, how old is she?

Brad :

Before this incident, she was not violent towards you?

Customer:

she is 46. I was working alot. gone alot............

Customer:

no...just verbally abusive....I think they call it "bitchy"

Brad :

why do you remain in this marraige?

Customer:

Because it would place both of us into poverty and I LOVE her until the day I die.

Brad :

Great! however you are in your wits in. Have you thought about attending a support group?

Customer:

don't know how...church perhaps???

Brad :

A website that is helpful to find a support group is through an organization called the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI). i believe the website is nami.org

Brad :

On this website, there will be a listing for support groups in your area where you will meet other family members who may have the same struggles or survive similar stuggles

Brad :

Have you considered obtaining guardianship over your wife?

Customer:

I will look into this. What does it sound like her affliction is? It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get her to leave the house.

Brad :

It is difficult for me to diagnosis over this forum because I would need to meet with your wife for a formal diagnosis. Having said this, based on your responses, she may have a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. However, for her to have a psychotic break late in life is atypical.

Brad :

She may have bipolar with psychotic features.

Customer:

I know this may sound strange....but is there such a thing as demon possession these days? I am not joking or in anyway trying to over state the situation. I have made recordings of her talking in her sleep....I had an expert listen....It is Latin and Aramaic....she is from Germany.

Brad :

When someone has a mental illness, it is not surprising for one to speak in their sleep. There are no scientific evidence for demon possession. Instead there may be neurotransmitters firing away that may be causing sleep talking. Also, if she is German, there is a strong probability that she learned Latin

Customer:

I didn't know that. I just could not understand how this 110 pound woman threw me, a 245 pound man to the floor.

Brad :

Adrenaline can do a lot things, including what your wife did to you

Customer:

Thank you. I guess she must of learned Kung -Fu with out me knowing it either.

Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults