How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my boyfriend has BPD. How can I get him to seek help

Customer Question

I think my boyfriend has BPD. How can I get him to seek help? His family has tried and failed. He talks about suicide and has taken several prescription meds trying to self-treat. I'm thinking of working the angle of "finding him the right drug." Is that a good idea?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

Drugs are not very effective for Borderline Personality Disorder. He needs a therapist who works for this very difficult to cure disorder. I will list some therapists who can help. I also recommend the following book:

Stop Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Care About Has Borderline Personality Disorder
by Randi Kreger and Paul Mason MS

I would like you to be familiar with the Florida Borderline Personality Disorder Association.

Check out their resource page:

An excellent treatment center is Lifeskills of South Florida who specialize in BPD and their webiste and contact information is: or call Call 1-800-749-7149.

There is much information to absorb contained above. Lifeskills comes highly recommended and is a beautiful facility with a very large and professional staff.

My best wishes for your boyfriend's recovery.

Warm regards,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is good info...thank you. One thing I failed to mention is that I am assuming he has BPD based on reading the exact book you just recommended! In other words, I could be wrong. He fits all the criteria and, from what I understand, he's been this way his entire life, but maybe I'm wrong about the BPD. He's very resistent to treatment (other than self-medicating with pills), so I was thinking if I can get him to a psychiatrist without mentioning anything like BPD in advance, then he can get a real diagnosis without my armchair psychiatry. I just want to find a way to make it acceptable for him. I'm afraid if the recommendation for a place like Lifeskills comes from me, he'll reject it. Is there any website I can go to for a search of psychiatrists in my area? Or maybe Lifeskills can recommend one? Do they do that sort of thing? Sorry for the extra questions but I'm at the end of my rope with him.
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Dear friend,

It doesn't matter what you tell a mental health practitioner. They will make the assessment.

If you are looking to find some mental health practitioners (and psychiatrists are not necessarily the best by any means - it is the individual), then you can go to the following website and entire your location. This will bring you up a large list and you can read what they say. Look for BPD and/or personality disorders, although they may not mention it.

This will give you a big list. You can also call or email and ask for information about the therapist and/or their areas of expertise or specialty (which some have).

Warm regards,