Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field

My girfriend has a full blown mania I need urgent help

Customer Question

Hi, my girlfriend has been diagnosed with bipolar 3 years ago. She had a full blown mania at the beginning of her illness and developed dellusional love towards our work friend; broke up with me etc, after she started her medication she realised what she has done and we sterted again. A year ago she accidentaly sterted to take a lower dosage of her medication, and then again - developed some affair on internet with a very strange girl. Broke up again.Anyway, she realised that she was taking wrong dosage and came back to me. Few weeks ago she started her dream job as a therapist, was over the moon about it and I failed to notice that it strts all over again..Last sunday she slept only 3 hours, during the week she had hardly no sleep. It's worth mentioning that she has never believed in her diagnosis. Anyway we went to GP and she asked her for some slipping pills. GP prescribed them for her but without any knowledge that she is diagnosed with bipolar as she was diagnosed back in Poland and here in the uk no one knows apart from me. We called her family to send us some medication when she realised that sleeping tablets are not working. Now we still are waiting for tablets, she is in a full blown mania again, hates me, stopped her medication all together and screams at me that she is fine when I begged her to take the tablet. She broke up with me again.And once again she developed dellusional love towards her new girlfriend at Uni. This girl has no idea what my partner is doing. My question is: what to do???is her full blown mania going to stop even though she is not taking her medication; her brain works on full speed now. Is she going to die? How should I act towards her as she hates me at the moment, shall I act cassual, shall I argue? She doesn't eat, barely drinks. She is all the time on computer listening to the music, pacing arround, rocking on the chair. Is like she is not herself anymore.When I try to talk she screams at me to get out or laughs histerically.I can't persuade her to take her meds and she threatens me with violance if I try to talk to her.Anna
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
This sounds really, really, difficult, to say the least.

Left untreated, people with bipolar disorder cycle from depression to mania and back over the course of their lives. The problem is that some people will stay depressed/manic for days or weeks or months at a time before cycling the other way.

When depressed/manic, people with bipolar disorder are also at a greater risk for attempting suicide because of how they feel or due to impaired thinking, compared with when their mood is well-regulated.

Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 4 years ago.

Hello how frustrating this can be for you. I think if things escalate you may need to take her to the emergency room. She needs to be medicated, as you know. I would not worry about the other woman because her pattern is to break up with them after the mania is over. If she does not agree to go to the hospital all you can do is wait until she is ready to go. When she is not manic any longer have a long conversation with her about her behavior when she is manic. Tell her then how much this behavior hurts you and how you will not tolerate that again. I know this is an emergency situation and I am glad you are conducting her family. Do you think someone can come over to the UK and talk some sense into her. Do not argue with her tell her that you will let her do what she wants to do see the other girl, but ask her to see the doctor and take her medication. I can't help but to believe that you deserve better than the treatment she is giving you. I also wonder how is your support system? Do you have friends who can offer support? How about an intervention with family and friends? You can schedule one when everyone who loves her can be there.

Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience: I have 20 years experience in the mental health field