Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

So, Im completely stuck. Ive had problems with short term

So, I'm completely stuck. I've had problems with short term memory, focusing, and getting things done for quite a few years now. Also, I've become more and more anxious about even just leaving the house some days in fear of what I'll have to face during the day. It's really starting to take a toll and I'm tired of it and know this isn't who I really am. Can someone help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you may have developed a possible anxiety disorder. Your symptoms of feeling anxious, especially about leaving your home, and trouble focusing and motivation fit with anxiety disorder.

Anxiety disorder is one of the easier disorders to treat. It involves working with a therapist through sessions and self help in order to change your thinking process. When people feel anxious, it is due to thoughts that trigger adrenaline in their systems. The adrenaline is what causes the fear and sometimes phobias.

Depression can be another symptom of anxiety. Because anxiety causes constant stress on your emotional well being and your body, you feel overwhelmed and upset most of the time. Depression sets in because you feel hopeless without a way to resolve your problem.

There is nothing wrong with sharing your feelings and the difficulties you are having. Anxiety is quite common. Most people experience anxiety at sometime in their lives, so everyone can identify with it. And support is vital for you to overcome how you feel.

You can start first by finding a therapist you want to work with. A therapist can meet with you to do an evaluation and determine if you have anxiety and what type. They can also recommend treatment that will work for you. Therapists can offer support and answers. This may help you feel better right away. Treatment will help you with the rest.

To find a therapist, contact your doctor to ask for a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

Also, consider support groups to help you find others who understand how you feel and can help you find answers. Here is more information and a link for support:

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

I hope this has helped you,

Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Kate
Thanks for the quick reply. I know anxiety has become a problem but that's not what's causing me to not stay focused and on task with simple things. My roommate said she thinks I have add. Are add and anxiety co-related? Does one cause the other?

You could have ADD, but adult onset is rare. You may have had it as a child but were undiagnosed.

ADD and anxiety are not directly related nor can they cause each other. But feeling anxious is a symptom of ADD. The only part that doesn't fit is your reluctance to go out of your home. Having an evaluation done to see what symptoms you do have and ruling out an anxiety disorder is a good first step to figuring this out since ADD can mimic many disorders, including anxiety.

If you do have ADD, there are medications such as Prozac or a stimulant type medication to help. But you can also change your diet, alter your environment to help, and use things like exercise to expend some of the extra energy you feel. Once you know your diagnosis, it will be easier to find answers that help you to feel better.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Does this seem to fit better with your symptoms? Do you need further information about ADD?

Kate

If you feel you answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT. I am not paid for my answer unless you accept. Thank you!