Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

Why does it take so long to get into see a phychiatrist I

Why does it take so long to get into see a phychiatrist? I have a son who is suffering from depression.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

In many areas there is a shortage of psychiatrists. Often a primary care physician in conjunction with a knowledgable psychologist can get things started earlier.

I truely find that hard to believe in my area. I have called his primary care physician and all they did was to refer me to the ED of the local hospital. It's obvious that they do not want the liability.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

I am sorry to hear that. I know it varies by region and MDs expertise. If they referred you to ER (not ED) they are likely very concerned that he may be too acutely ill. If you believe he is in danger of suicide, self harm, or hurting others, please take him to ER for evaluation. I regret I cannot do anything to help how MDs behave in your area. You still might want to try a psychologist or counselor to help keep him stable and they may have connections you don't.

Thank you for your time, I already have him seeing a counselor. With their help and referrrals, it's an 8 week or more to get in to see someone.