Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

is there a difference between Ambien 12.5 and Zolpidem er

is there a difference between Ambien 12.5 and Zolpidem er 12.5
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sir,

Ambien is the brand name while Zolpidem is the generic name of the same drug Zolpidem and there is no difference between them.

Ambien CR® (zolpidem tartrate extended-release) tablets

Branded and generic medicinesBest wishes,

Vikas

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are they addictive?
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.

Not exactly if used for short term and as and when needed. If taken for more than a few weeks, it should be taper down slowly to reduce chances of withdrawal effects.

Vikas

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been using 10 mg since 1998... every nite. I am moving to 12.5 mg because the 10 mg doesnot keep me asleep while the 12.5 does.

On the road, I forgot the pills and took 3 -5 mg melatonins and it worked... for about 3 hours, but I could not go back to sleep and was not going to take any more. Stayed up all night with chills.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.
Oh.

In that case, what you experienced at that time could be withdrawal symptoms because of not taking Zolpidem. (" I forgot the pills and took 3 -5 mg melatonins and it worked... for about 3 hours, but I could not go back to sleep and was not going to take any more. Stayed up all night with chills").

It appears to me that, you may be now dependent on this medicine and whenever you want to stop this medicine, you should do it under your doctor supervision by tapering down slowly. Your doctor will tell you the correct method regarding how to stop it slowly.

Vikas

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

However, if I ween off them, I will still be subject to insomnia and will not sleep. No pills-no sleep.

Which is better?

being dependent and sleeping or not sleeping?

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.

I do agree with you totally. But my next reply will lead us to the discussion regarding management of chronic insomnia and this can go on and on.

Your original question was "is there a difference between Ambien 12.5 and Zolpidem er 12.5" which I guess I answered in my first post.
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics