Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field
59700337

My husband is a porn addict and we are going to counseling.

My husband is a porn addict and we are going to counseling. On top of that we have a 6 month old son. I am having trouble with mood swings and anger. I'm not sure if it is just a normal reaction to life or postpartum depression?  Can Zoloft help me with that?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 2 years ago.
Hello there, and thanks for asking JA Can you tell me when did your mood swings start? When did you realized your husband is a sex addicted. What is your anger about?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My mood swings have gotten worse since August of this year. (the latest time I have stumbled across his addiction) I have known for years that my husband looked at porn and masturbated, it has been a repeating cycle of me catching him, confronting him, yelling and him promising to stop. Each time I have believed him only to discover months later that he infact never quit and repeatatively lied and hide it from me. I am very angry about all the lies and hurt, he knew I did not approve of his porn viewing. He has over the past 5 years worked very hard to hide his addiction and has now finally admitted to the problem, he is seeing a professional and we are seeing a counselor. I think now though my anger and mood swings are damaging our relationship more than the porn. I'm having trouble getting over the anger and hurt, now little things are setting me off. I have always been a person to not get upset, infact my husband thinks I'm a doormat. I think I bottled everything into a mental trash can over the years and now the lid is off and I can't contain it!
I can see how old hurts are making you very angry and your anger, or the way to express it may be affect your relationship. Maybe the compination of post postpartum depression and relationship problems are making things worse. I think see a doctor and getting antidepressents may help. Learning how to communicate your anger in affective ways will help the relationship. Also working on forgiving him and trusting again will help. Anger can be expressed or supressed but it does not go away so learning how to express anger in a healthy way keeps you from being a door mat or from exploding because you hold on for too long
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience: I have 20 years experience in the mental health field