Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.

I am a grandmother of 4 all from my youngest daughter. All 4 stay with their father and vi

I am a grandmother of 4 all from my youngest daughter. All 4 stay with their father and visit mom every other weekend 200 miles away. The kids take charge of the house and one has been a bully (age 12) and it is now increasing. She has gone to counselors but knows what to tell them and thinks they are a joke.
Her mother thinks it might be in her best interest to live with her in order to give more attention and hopefully turn her around.
My question is if she were to do this, is being seperated from her other sisters and brother doing more harm?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.

It would probably be a relief to all involved including the 12 year old. If Mom can provide a good home then I am all for it. The sibs. will miss her and vice versa but not too much. It sounds like these kids are used to a fair amount of ongoing upheaval so she shouldn't be too off balance with the transition.

I think the younger kids would really enjoy the relief from bullying and the 12 year old will benefit from an environment with more structure.

Let me know if you would like any clarification of this answer.

Thank You.
Mark Manley