Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.

In the past 6 weeks, Ive had one mother attempt suicide (shes

In the past 6 weeks, I've had one mother attempt suicide (she's OK now) and my other mother almost die due to surgery complications - she was in ICU for 2 weeks, ventilator, etc. she's now home and recovering well. During both these ordeals, i was at the hospitsl everyday and did my best to hold everything together. My question is- why am I feeling so down and depressed now that everything is ok? I feel grumpy and tired and completely unmotivated.
I am sorry for all the emotional trauma you have been through recently. You are emotionally and physically exhausted and you should be. You need to allow plenty of time for your emotional and physical recuperation. Your irritable, depressed and lethargic symptoms should subside gradually with in the next 3-6 weeks. If you don't notice significant improvement in this time frame consider a complete physical examination with a medical doctor. Doubtless you are behind in many areas of your life because you were not able to tend to them and your mothers simultaneously. If this is the case dig out slowly and methodically. You may also have feelings of resentment towards family who were not as attentive and sacrificial as you were, if so this is something you can think about and choose to deal with later when you are feeling better.

Easy does it.

Mark Manley