I have a family member who we recently admitted to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation. He has been released, but refuses to believe there is anything wrong with him and that the episode was caused by stress
, lack of sleep, and a lack of nourishment and hydration. The specifics are as follows:
- Manic behavior
- He was talking incessantly at a very fast pace, demanded everyone's attention, and what he was saying didn't make sense.
- He was moving around very quickly, becoming very animated, and would clap loudly and slap tables, etc.
- He could not sleep
- He believed that anything electronic was monitoring him (including my sons toys), and hid under a counter when his sister tried to take a photo of him.
- He believed "he was on a mission from God"
- He thought my wives sister was was our son's mother, and wasn't sure if his mother was actually his mother.
- He was unsure whether time actually existed
- He didn't want to be associated with any labels or brands
- He was having trouble talking and seeing at the same time, and would close his eyes or cover them with his shirt
Potential Contributing factors:
- He was under some work stress when the episode occurred.
- proior to the episode he had been sleeping
3-4 hours a night for about 4 days, and then could not sleep at all for 48 hours
- He had been fasting (food and drink) for about 36 hours.
In general he's a pretty moody individual who has a hording problem and he had a similar episode about 6 years ago that also required hospitalization. We are under the impression that he has Bi-Polar disorder, but he laughs off what happened and tells us he remembers everything (which he does) and the abnormal behavior was a joke.
Is it possible that lack of sleep, stress, and lack of food and hydration could be the sole cause of this?