Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

Before starting on 20mg Paxil, again, I was on Paxil c.r.25mg.

Before starting on 20mg Paxil, again, I was on Paxil c.r.25mg. I actually felt quite good on it. Today I saw a psychiatric nurse practitioner and she gave me a prescription for Paxil e.r. 25mg. Then I read that 25mg is a high dose; and, that 25e.r. is the same as Paxil 20mg. Which is true, or correct? Is the generic as good as the original? Should I get e.r. or c.r.?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.
25 e.r. versus 20 mg is a minimal difference. They are about the same. The difference is the e.r. does a better job of spreading the dose out for a more consistant response through a 24 hour period. The ER and CR are both forms of extended release and again, very similar. Typically, the ER has more stable level over time, but not much different than CR. Generic should not make any difference at all. All of the doses are close to the same and should make no difference of note. If the do, report it to MD.