TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

what does it mean when a person cannot own up to his mistakes

what does it mean when a person cannot "own up" to his mistakes or wrong doings. Always has to place blame on another person or thing.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It can mean a few different things depending on the other issues the person has. By that I mean, if the person generally gets along with others and does not seem self centered, then it may mean the person is just insecure and has a hard time admitting they are wrong. Sometimes, people will view admitting they are wrong as equal to saying they are unworthy and lower than others. This is too hard to deal with for someone who is insecure and is unsure of themselves. People often feel this way if they are mistreated in childhood through abuse or neglect.

However, if the person is self centered, always feels they are right even if it is obvious they are wrong and generally puts their own needs above others, they may be narcissistic. A person who is narcissistic has a personality disorder which makes it difficult if not impossible for them to see themselves as at fault. They feel that others are lower than they are and that they could not possibly do anything wrong. This personality type is hard to cope with because they almost never see they have a problem therefore they have no interest in fixing the issue. Dealing with them can be frustrating and fruitless. And trying to get them to seek help and see a therapist is usually not effective. The best you can do when dealing with someone like this is keep your distance as much as possible.

I hope this helps you,