Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field

Hello, my daughter has ADHD and now they say she has executive

Hello, my daughter has ADHD and now they say she has executive function disorder. She's 14. Will these improve with age? The executive function disorder has become really troublesome - when we never really noticed it before. All of a sudden she is telling us everything about what she comes across at school and she can't really tell what is appropriate for any particular situation. It seems dangerous to me. I'm just wondering if it will improve. Is there anything I can to to help it improve?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 2 years ago.

Executive function disorder if common on children is ADHD. The executive function of the brain can

1. Analyze a task

2. Plan how to address the task

3. Organize the steps needed to carry out the task

4. Develop timelines for completing the task

5. Adjust or shift the steps, if needed, to complete the task

6. Complete the task in a timely way

Children with ADHD have brains that develop slower than children who do not have ADHD. Teenagers are in the development stage of the executive function. Also the above symptoms are symptoms of ADHD also. School district psychologist usually test for executive function disorder in order to help children. Has the school told you that your daughter will get more help in the classroom? Also individual and family therapy will help your daughter learn how to reduce anxiety about tasks and complete tasks in the classroom. I have seen that children with those disorders will improve with medication and treatment. It usually takes teens with ADHD brains longer to develop and mature than their peers. If your daughter's symptoms do not improve talk to her psychiatrist and therapist. Her medication may need to be adjusted or she may need more therapy. Also family therapy helps the family learn how to cope.

Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience: I have 20 years experience in the mental health field