Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

I am 28 years old and feel the need to wear diapers. I have

Customer Question

I am 28 years old and feel the need to wear diapers. I have wore them many times and I love it. Can you tell me why this might be?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer.I'm sorry tO hear about what is going oN with you.It is not possible. To know why you are doing this. Unless someone does an exteNsive interview with you there is no way to kNow why you do this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, is it possible to do an interview like that over the phone? How much would it cost? Thanks.
Sorry for the delay. My computer crashed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No problem. So is it possible to do that interview over the phone? If so, how much would it cost?
We are not allowed to do interviews over the phone but what I can do is help you find someone with the right kind of training to help you work on this. If you go to a therapist who does not have the right kind of training nothing will change for you. Give me your city, state and zip code and I will find someone who can do that interview and help you work this through. It will need more than an interview. You will need to be in therapy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. Im in Chattanooga, TN 37363. Im really not looking to stop wearing them as much as just trying to figure out why I do it. Thanks!
Here is the name of someone who will be able to dig deep and find out why you wish to wear diapers.

Rose Morgan
8749 Wandering Way
Ooltewah, TN 37363-5694
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, is she a professional? Do you have a phone number for her? Thanks
Yes, she is. She is a member of the American Psychoanalytic Association. All members must pass very stringent examinations from their Institutes. I don't see a telephone number for her. You could contact the American Psychoanalytic Association ---

http://www.apsa.org/Membership/Active_Membership.aspx

OR: Look her up in your telephone directory.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Is there something else you would like to ask me that You would like answered?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help.
If you have any other questions I'd be glad to help you. Unfortunately, we are not permitted to have telephone contact. In order for me to understand why you wear diapers I would need to have a very, very thorough early childhood history. Without knowing your early childhood history anyone telling you why you are wearing diapers would just be giving an answer to please you rather than giving you the truth. That's why I recommended you go see someone who could see you and get a very detailed history so that they would know why YOU wear diapers.
Glen Gabbard is a very well known psychoanalyst who wrote up a case that appeared in the American Journal of Psychiatry. You might find this case interesting to read and it might reveal to you some things about your history that have led you to wear diapers. As I have already said that since I do not know your history I cannot say why you do it.
Here is the link to the article in the American Journal of Psychiatry:

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/160/11/1932

I did forget to mention that this condition is referred to as "paraphilic infantilism."

Paraphilic infantilism describes the desire to wear diapers and be treated like a baby. Those who have a specific diaper fetish are known as diaper lovers (DLs). For them, the act of wearing a diaper is sexually arousing. Those who enjoy being treated like a baby - which can include wearing diapers - but do not see it as a sexual fetish are known as adult babies (ABs).

ABs and DLs have no sexual desire towards children.

Because these fantasies are harmless, infantilists rarely seek medical help. The urge to be treated as a baby usually begins between the ages of five and 15.The majority are heterosexual, but just one in five are women.