Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

Ive just been prescribed 10mg citalopram to hopefully cure

I've just been prescribed 10mg citalopram to hopefully cure my alogia (poverty of speech) but I havent noticed a a difference and its been 2 days. I just feel like sleeping most of the time. Is this normal? And should I take it at night rather than in the morning. I've done some research on citalopram and apparantly its 40% effective at curing people of alogia as you can see on this page... but as I said I havent noticed a difference. I'm meant to go up to 20mg in about 2 weeks so maybe this might help.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

It should take at least 2 weeks to do anything helpful (if it works) and you may need 20mg. Go ahead and take at night. The sedation is likely a short term side effect (about a week and perhaps again when you increase dose. I would not increase until this sedation goes away. I hope it works for you.