TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi i have been diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder. however i

Hi i have been diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder. however i think something else is going on in my head. i have suffered with intrusive thoughts since i was 14 years old, i am now 52. these thoughts involve hurting myself or other people they are particularly strong if i have a knife in my hand.
apart from that i also am oppessed with behaving prefectly in my relationships with others, so much so that i recall the conversations i have with people over and over in my head until i have worked out what went wrong. if it was my failure i punish myself mercilessly until i see that person again and are able to put it right.
as well as this i am able to detect disturbances in peoples behaviour, for example it could been something as subtle as an eye movement. its as if my brain takes some sort of snap shot of the image and i replay the scene over and over till i work out what emotion i detect in that person. my brain goes through this same process with body langage and voice intonation.
i know this all sounds crazy but i have tested my theory on actual people and they have confirmed my suspicions, i am always right. i have also taken numerious test on line like reading the emotion on peoples eyes and i always score higher than other peopl.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you may have OCD- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Obsessions are repeating unwanted thoughts or fears that may be temporarily relieved by an action such as hand washing or counting. If the actions are not performed, then the anxiety associated with the reoccuring thoughts becomes worse.

Compulsive behavior is repetitive behavior that includes any action that is taken to relieve obsessive thoughts.

Your ability to recall conversations with others and to read behaviors can be attributed to good memory retention and/or your ability to focus well because of your attention to detail. It is very common to find that someone with an OCD is able to recall detail because they tend to be hypervigilent about their environment. Also, you are probably highly intelligent which adds to your ability to retain information and recall detail.

The cause of OCD is not known but it is thought to either be biological, genetic or environmental or possibly a combination. Onset is usually in childhood, adolescence or early adulthood.

Diagnosis can be done by a therapist or psychiatrist. Treatment includes individual therapy (cognitive behavioral therapy is a good option) and medications including tricyclic anti depressants and SSRI medications. Also, anti anxiety drugs such as Zoloft also help control the anxiety associated with intrusive thoughts. Also, support through therapy and self help such as support groups helps relieve symptoms and is helpful in managing the disorder.

I hope this has helped you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. i had come to the same conclusion, as i read through the bipolar web site again and could not find evidence of this kind of behavior in their literature. the trouble with the medication side of treatment, is that it is not good for me, as it involves SRI drugs which for some one with mania not a good combination.

however therapy might be a way forward, as i have to do something as i am becoming a recluse in my own home. my pyschaitrist has offered me therapy and has suggested that we deal with the childhood traumers first and see what comes out of it at the end. but looking at the OCD web sights i feel i have that too.

That sounds like a good plan. You have to do what works for you. Therapy can help you pinpoint what might be making you feel anxious and help you find ways to cope with your symptoms. Self help through support groups and educating yourself are also great ways to deal with OCD.