TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

hello i have chronic pain and depression what is the best medication

hello i have chronic pain and depression what is the best medication i am taking prozac
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

For depression, the medication that works best for you depends very much on your individual body chemistry. In my experience, it is very common for people to need to try many different medications before finding one that works for them. But when dealing with chronic pain and depression, there is a group of medications that help.

With chronic pain and depression, the best medications to take are called Tricyclics. In low doses, they can be used to treat chronic pain. In higher doses, they are used for depression. These mediations include:

Because of your combined conditions, you may want to talk to your doctor about trying a medication combination, if the tricyclic on a low dose is not enough to help.

When considering which medications to take, it is important to know that anti depressants should be only part of your treatment. If you are chronically depressed, adding therapy, self help and self care such as mild exercise can make a big difference in your mood and general over all health.

I hope this helped you,