Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

1. Identify and define the mental processes that account for

1. Identify and define the mental processes that account for mistakes in identifying strangers. Also identify the circumstances that affect the accuracy of perceptions in identifying strangers.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Interesting question. As a Expert in Criminology, I have dealt with these issues on many occasions and am happy to provide feedback and some helpful links to enhance your knowledge on this issue.

It is well known that statistically significant differences in eyewitnesses' memories or mental processing of key aspects of the witnessing an event or experience include but are not limited to:

• their confidence level at the time they identified the suspect
• how good a view they had of the event
• their ability to make out facial details
• the ease of identification
• whether they had a good basis (enough information) to make their decision

There have been hundreds of studies done that define major factors related to identification and mis-identification of stranger's, particularly in the context of the criminal justice system.

One of the leading experts in this area is Dr. Gary Wells, Distinguished Professor of Psychology at Iowa State University.

Here is a link to his website where you will find everything you want to know about this subject:

I trust that this serves to answer your question and wish you the best. Feel free to reply as needed.

I appreciate positive feedback

Have a great day.