TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

what is the best dosage prozac for panic attacks

what is the best dosage prozac for panic attacks?

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

The typical dose for someone starting on Prozac is 20 mg. But if you have tried this dose and are not feeling better, talk to your doctor about increasing your dose to 40 mg. This is usually effective for most people.

Have you also tried therapy? Therapy and self help is very effective for anxiety and panic. You may want to consider both to help you greatly reduce or eliminate your panic attacks.

Let me know if I can help any further,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much for your reply. I did not try therapy or self help. Any suggestions about the self help?

Yes, here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

A Life Less Anxious: Freedom from panic attacks and social anxiety without drugs or therapy by Steve Pavilanis and Patricia Alma Lee

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

Understanding panic attacks and why you have them can go a long way to helping you feel better and recovering. Panic attacks and anxiety are caused when your body's flight or fight response is triggered. A person with panic begins feeling afraid. Their body senses danger so it releases adrenaline to prepare the person to fight the danger or leave quickly. But when the person is not really in danger, the adrenaline has no use. So the person experiences the symptoms of an adrenaline rush but has no where to use it. This is what causes the heart palpations, rapid heartbeat, sweaty palms, shallow breathing and other symptoms of a panic attack. Once you understand how your body responds to your thoughts, you can start to control how you think and relax into the panic. Then the panic has no hold on you.

The books will help explain this process further and help you use techniques like relaxation to control your body's response. The more you learn, the better off you will be and your panic will end.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks so much. I will get the books asap.

You're welcome! Take care,