TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have recent anxiety issues with a couple panic attacks. I

I have recent anxiety issues with a couple panic attacks. I had MRI and MRA both neg. I feel like im bringing on attacks by thinking about them and that something is wrong or bad going to happen. what can i do. I was put on zoloft and xanax (as needed).

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is very normal for someone who has anxiety and panic to feel something is wrong with them physically. The symptoms brought on by a panic attack and anxiety are physical and therefore the connection makes sense.

What is happening is you are convincing yourself that something is wrong. This causes your body to produce adrenaline to help you respond. But since you are not really in danger, all the adrenaline does is cause symptoms. Symptoms can include:

Chest pain or discomfort

Trembling or shaking

Feeling dizzy or faint

Nausea or upset stomach

Numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or face

Palpitations, fast heart rate, or pounding heart

Feeling short of breath or choking

Sweating, chills, or hot flashes

Fear of dying or losing control

A feeling of impending doom

Feeling detached from your environment

Feelings of unreality

What helps is therapy. Therapy has been proven to be the most effective treatment with anxiety disorder. CBT, or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, is currently the best treatment option. To find a therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

You can also help yourself at home. Relaxation techniques are a great way to help yourself. Learning about anxiety is another. The more you know, the better off you are. Here are some resources to help you:

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook (Anxiety & Phobia Workbook) by Edmund J. Bourne

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

Anxiety is highly curable with therapy and self help so if you try both, you should be feeling better soon.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate