David Akiva
David Akiva, BA, MA,
Experience:  Counselor; Behavioral Consultant
57833540

hI my name isXXXXX question is about my granddaughter

Customer Question

hI my name isXXXXX question is about my granddaughter who is 10 and is suffering in school with reading and in all areas. We have for 4 years trying to get this school system to see to this problem with what they call a IEP or offer something to help her. Yes I have custody of her and Im old school and Im at a loss . Do not no how to use this computor well enough to explain what all she has been through. If I don't do something right away , she's going to give up on school and learning. Please can you call me? I don't know what to do.. Help Please... XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  David Akiva replied 5 years ago.

Duddy :

Welcome, I am a professional counselor, behavioral-consultant and relationship expert. I've worked as a behavioral consultant in a major school board....

Duddy :

As JustAnswer Experts, we can only answer your questions via this chat format we can't work with customers via telephone or e-mail....

Duddy :

What I'd like to do is chat with you to ask some questions to better understand your situation and your problem. Don't worry about typing errors it's just informal chat...

Duddy :

If you can't chat live, then maybe we can leave messages for each other a few time until I have the information I need to provide you with a strong practical answer. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oh yea!!!! I think I finally found the right place.... Yes sir, would love to give you more info. Where would you like me to start? Her name is Cynthia Paige and is 10 years old. Has been with me since she was 6 months old. Her mother is my daughter. Both mother and father was cited for reckless endangerment. My husband and I have full custody. We also have her 13 year old brother. (Fun) Do whatever the good Lord give's you!! At 56 not what I exspected. From old school, do not know how school systems work now but they keep showing us what is wrong but not trying to fix it. Paige is being seen by her PD. dr 10-7-11 for ADD, let you know the out come. Can only tell you what I see. Paige and I can study her spelling words all evening after school till bedtime, get up, get ready for school, ask her a view words on the list and she remembers none, just as if it was all new to her. Well like to write more but got to go for now, oh how I pray your the answer and that I can find you again.
I'm here and don't mind working with you on this question. I will wait for the outcome of the PD's analysis of the case.

It can be a bit of a challenge if there have been issues with neglect or abuse. If the child is anxious or otherwise emotionally pre-occupied the symptoms can mimic a learning disability.

Is it just academic under-performance or are there other behavioral issues as well?

Was she ever average or above average or have there been academic problems for a long time?