TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

WHY DO I HAVE A PROBLOM TALKING on phone i can talk face to

WHY DO I HAVE A PROBLOM TALKING on phone i can talk face to face but i cant talk on phone i cant talk to doctors or service people at all and i have a hard time talking to friends and family
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is more common than you may think to be nervous on the phone. You are basically talking to a voice. You cannot read the person's face, see their body language or be distracted by anything going on around you. Everything is counting on what you say and how you say it. Sort of like a microscope on what you say. But your nervousness can be overcome.

You can help yourself feel better about talking on the phone. Here are some ideas:

List on paper what you want to say- that way, you can refer back when you need to if you get confused or lost as to what to say

Keep in mind the point of your call- some people can get easily sidetracked, especially when they feel nervous. Write down the point of your call so you can look at it to remind you.

Keep a pen and paper handy- writing out instructions, times for appointments, etc will not only help you focus, it will help you not forget important information.

Get rid of noise- turn off your TV, radio etc. It's too hard for you to focus if there is someone talking in the background.

Remember that the other person may be nervous too- even if someone makes calls everyday, they may not be natural at it. So they can be nervous as well.

Learning about social anxiety can help you feel better about talking on the phone. Here are some resources to help you:

Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques by GillXXXXX XXXXX

Living Fully with Shyness and Social Anxiety: A Comprehensive Guide to Gaining Social Confidence by Erika Bukkfalvi Hilliard

Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life by Barbara Markway, Sifu Gregory Markway and Gregory Markway

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,