TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Kate Well it seems like i have gotten into a bad rut. Because

Well it seems like i have gotten into a bad rut. Because I have been so sick lately, it has made me so tired. However, I must admit that I was getting pretty lazy beforehand. I`ve gotten into a bad habit of getting my daughter ready for school, making her breakfast & lunch, driving her and then going home. Once home, I put my pajama`s on and go back to bed. It seems the more medication I take, the more tired I feel. I`m in a vicious cycle. One my therapist is adament must stop.

It is my escape from my world that is filled with so much sadness and pain. A part of me wants to to face all the ugly stuff but another part wants to forget. The problem: I am unable to push back the assault memories because I have already started talking about them. I know this is the right way to go but sometimes it is so exhausting to deal with.

Sorry for what I feel is complaining and venting. But I need to lighten my load of emotions every so often.

Thanks for always seeming to care and always writing me back especially when I seem to need it most.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

You're welcome! I am glad that I can help.

I have to agree that the medication is putting off the inevitable. Facing your memories and the symptoms you have as a result of the assault is something that needs to happen. It is scary, I know. Who wants to go through that all again? But what you need to remember is that this time, you are safe and surrounded by people who care about you. You are not alone. Also, memories may be hard to live through and can be painful, but they cannot hurt you. And you have control over how much you process and what you work on. This time is different.

When you begin to face your past, consider making a list of things that are different now. Things that have changed, what you have learned about yourself and the situation since it happened, and the strengths you have gained. Keep the list with you, add to it and read it as often as you need to. It can help you through.

Kathy, I was not sure you saw this response. Hopefully, this second reply will help JA get this to you.