Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field

Can someone be declared incompetant if their IQ is99

Can someone be declared incompetant if their IQ is99?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 5 years ago.

An IQ of 99 is considered within the normal range so this is not something that a judge can use to declare someone incompetent. Can you tell me what type of behaviors, symptoms do you see that worry you about this individual?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Shhe has declared herself to be bi-sexual and has a friend. Not a big deal - what is the big deal is she is giving everything up and moving to Texas. Certainly she is old enough but had a good job, one she loved and just left it; in school because she was being moved along in managerial position and quit; belonged to chosru which she loved dearly - quit; made many committments and has foregone those. The friend is unemployed - does not think she should work and taking her to Texas to :find herself". Calls daily here and we have not heard from her for 1 week; nor seen her in 2 and today we were told she is busy. Haqs sent her phone back because friend and her family have told her the program will not work in Texas and she believed them. Was also told today (by friend's step-dad) that if we try to contact her again he will have us thrown in jail. I am sure ther is more but.................

As much as your worry about her I am not sure that you can do anything about her behavior. I understand that she is making a big mistake and your can see that. Unfortunally, if she is over 18 you can't do anything legally. I think the only thing you can do is give her a bit of space to come back to you with her questions. Are you afraid that she will be manipulated by others? How old is she?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is 23 and has been manipulated by this family for a while now. They have strongly suggested she not speak with us as "punishment" for our opinions. We were told today she has returned her phone to us via mail because the plan we have "does not work in Texas." Just an example. I know there is probably nothing we can do but she is giving up everything and this girl is giving p nothing. Just thought we would ask if there was anything to do.

Hello there I can't even imagine how worrisome this can be for you, to have someone manipulating her this way. I think being supportive without being very involved is probably the most affective thing to do. You don't want her to worry about calling you back because she does not want to hear I told you so. She seams emotionally immature for 23 but she will learn her own lessons. Give her some space and then communicate with her. Is she your daughter? I think this is the hardest thing for a mother to do to see her child making a mistake that she can't prevent. I hope you are getting some support to cope with all this.