Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice

We have a granddaughter in Texas - age 9 - has been seen by pediatrician 3 times over 15 m

We have a granddaughter in Texas - age 9 - has been seen by pediatrician 3 times over 15 mos. All reports normal - first time, ADD/ADHD diagnosis. Within last 2 weeks, diagnosis changed to ADHD/ODD/bipolar and without another word she was put into psychiatric hospital and immediately put on drug regimen for bipolar - saying the father said it was based on mother's diagnosis of bipolar - which there is no diagnosis. Child was in hospital for 4 days and only allowed visitors 1 hour a day every other day. A little cruel considering she just doesn't get along with her stepmom. PS - Pediatrician was the stepmom's pediatrician. No second opinion, just dope her up. The dad and mom share joint managing conservatorship, except a provision for him of "EXCLUSIVE" was slipped in for psychiatric and invasive care and no one caught it. Anyway, the child was drugged excessively and we have recordings where she can barely speak. We were able to call after day 3 - but 1 time a day. The child
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how frustrating this situation must be for you. You are clearly loving and caring grandparents. It must be so tragic to see your granddaughter in this situation. And so infuriating that there seems no way to get her out of this torturous situation. I am so very sorry you are facing this.

You are questioning how this could happen today. In America. In Texas. And the answer is that POWER is power in every generation and in every location. Whether in the most dictatorial regime or in our land of freedom. It is still power. The difference is only in how the power can be exercised and how it can be challenged.

Her father has, wrongly but he has, legal power here. Our country is ruled by law. Law doesn't guarantee justice, only that we have access to it. And then not always to our liking or in the service of justice. What do I mean?

He has legal power over your granddaughter. He has exercised it in malicious ways. The law doesn't evaluate this. He would need to be challenged in court for abusing his power. This will cost a lot of money. Your daughter has to seek some redress in court and that will be an expensive proposition most likely. If there is a guardian ad litem that has been appointed, that might help but not necessarily. Your daughter will need to hire an attorney and at the very least file a motion that this is now a health issue and not a psychiatric issue and therefore she has power of decision making (jointly). The videos of your granddaughter may be relevant here.

So you see, our lives today in our country do not insure justice. They give us access to the law and raise the law to a level that has never been seen in the world before. But power is still power. That is a constant in human affairs that no government can alter.

I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button because: even though you have made a deposit, I do not get paid for my time unless you press ACCEPT. Feel free to continue the discussion as my goal is to get you the best answer possible. You can continue the discussion even after pressing ACCEPT. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX