Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

i am very depressed.... is there a real organisation that offers assisted suicide?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I work with individuals who have been considering suicide. There are no organizations that offer assisted suicide. A certain Dr. Kavorkian did offer this service but was put in jail, where he passed away, recently.

Instead of putting your energy in finding a way to end your life, why don't you consider finding a new way of making your life worthwhile?

Your life is a precious gift, with a limited window of opportunity. It cannot be replaced or renewed, and it is really all that any one of us have.

I understand that you are very depressed and it seems easier to take the back door out and not fight any longer. It may be fine for you, but you will leave a trail of broken hearts, including among people that have only loved and cared about you. You are not only hurting yourself, but are hurting those people as well.

You can break the grip of depression. I do not know what you have tried, but suicide does not cure depression; it only passes it on to tohers who don't deserve the pain.

Please see a professional therapist or even a psychiatrist (the former uses more talk therapy, the latter more drug and other medical therapy).. Depression can be controlled and even cured. You have many good years ahead of you. Life is so precious and should not be wasted and thrown away.

Please go and talk to someone who can bring you out of this state. It is such a tragic loss whenever someone dies by their own hand.

I really care about you very much and want to see you find the courage and strength to move past this condition. It is only a mood and you can overcome it and move forward with your life.

Warmest regards,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i drink also, if i stop would it help?
Dear friend,

Sorry to take so long to respond, but I was away (out of state) teaching and just got back.

If you could stop drinking it would be a WONDERFUL help for you. I understand that drinking is a form of self-medication, but in the end, just leaves you even more depressed. If you need something for your depression, let a psychiatrist prescribe you something more effective.

I wish you the strength to get off of alcohol.

Warm regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what about dignitas?
Dignitas is a Swiss based organization that charges for assisted suicide, mostly for those with terminal illness, but also those with severe mental health issues/ The fee is over $5000, and extended mental and physical evaluation is part ot the initial screening.

As a professional and as a part of the JustAnswer suicide prevention crew, i do not advocate suicide as the ultimate answer for most (not all) individuals. I still urge you to work with the best therapists you can find.

You can get more information at:

I still urge you to choose life.

Warm regards,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC