Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

What is the best way to handle a pannic attack, and completely

What is the best way to handle a pannic attack, and completely get rid of them with out drugs, especially sinve the drugs are makin them worse?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

The alternative therapies such as meditation and acupuncture will be helpful. Also consider hypnosis and relaxation techniques.

In our mental health field, research shows that the most effects treatment is medication and therapy. But you can try the therapy alone and see if it helps. The best therapy approach for panic attacks and anxiety (and many other things) is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. The therapist helps you to exam the thoughts that may be triggering the panic (even if unconscious) and then, helps you to change the thoughts. For instance, if a person has thoughts like "I am going to make a mistake." The counter thought would be "Everyone make mistakes. I can learn from my mistakes., etc"

There is also a great workbook which you can use yourself or with a therapist.
This book and the Feeling Good Handbook are both self-help books using the about cognitive behavioral approach.

To find a CBT therapist in your area, go to

I hope this helps and that you will not need the medication.
Good luck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am doin those things, and their not helping, seeing the therapist doesnt work, medication is makin it worse, and i dont know what se to do, because its all i think bout, and i have a 4 year old daughter that i have to take care of, annd it so hard with all this goin on!!! I do.t know what else to do
So sorry that you are going through this and feeling no hope. Since you have not tried the self help book, maybe that is the answer. If therapy is not helping it may be time to try the CBT therapist. I wish there was a magic solution. Hang in there, there is hope but sometimes is takes several tries to find it.

In the meantime, try this when you feel a panic attack coming on:

There are many of these on youtube.....

Hope this helps a little...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do i get myself to stop thinking bout it... Everyday i try to reflect on how my day was and if it was good, then it goes bad, and if it was bad, then it gets worse... How do i stop thinking bout it, im so scared that another one is gonna happen that i cant stop thinkin bout it!
I see, you have fear of the panic attack itself. You need to be able to think about it in a different way. You thoughts are "I am going to have a panic attack and that will be terrible." Instead think, "I might have a panic attack but I can handle it and it will be over soon." If you don't stop fearing the panic attack, the fear will actually cause it to happen. Don't be afraid of them.....just handle them with the relaxation exercises. Have daughter do the relaxation exercises with you....children love them and you will teach her a strategy.

If you need more help consider purchasing this program for $70.00. If you don't have the money. consider asking family to buy it as a gift to you. (watch the free video) (they might have a free trial too)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do i handle the what ifs? Thank ypu soo much, u really are helping me right now..o
What ifs are a way of thinking that needs to be changed.

Give me some examples...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Before i go to bed, i do what if i dont wake up, what if i have a pannic attack at the movie theatre, what if i have one in the car when im driving, what if im bymyself when it happens , what if i really do need medical attention, and no one is around, everything has turned in to what ifs... I can hardly eat bc i think what if this is what kills me... Its everything, i am now afraid of everything!
Negative thought (NT): What if I don't wake up:

Positive thought (PT: I have been waking up fine every day. I am healthy and do not have a life threatening illness.

NT: What if I have a panic attack in the movie theater: PT: I can get up and go to ladies room and handle it; It is not the end of the world. I am not going to die.

NT in the car: PT: I can pull over and breathe through it;

NT By myself: PT: I can work through it with my relaxation strategies.

NT: Need medical attention.. PT I can keep my cell phone with me and call 911;

***PT: No one dies of panic attacks.

Also use: These things have not happened to me before. They are unlikely to happen (i.e., PA in car; PA in movies if they apply) or The last time I had a PA in car, I handled I well or I can handle it better next time by......
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would it be better to just face it head on, or just take a medication, and keep covering it up?
Research has show that the best results comes from doing both. Face it head on with a therapist and medication to prevent the actual episodes. If your medication is making it worse, it may not be the right one for you. There are others.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, and i feel like the pannic has moved to my brain, before it would make me feel like my body was goin weird... Now it feels like my brain is goin to explode, and i feel like im gonna pass oit... Idk if thays from the pannic or the medication...
What medication are you on and how long have you been on it? These could be side effects.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Im on alprazalam. And the last couple days my head has just been all over the place...
Okay, Xanax is out of your system in just a few hours. If you stop taking it, your head should clear up. Maybe you are taking too much.

I think I have answered all your questions.....please press accept so that I get reimbursed for my time. Thank tou
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Lol, ok thank you.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX ask more questions by posting a new one and starting with FOR BONNIE; Thanks