Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I just bought a product call Kava Kava Root (pill form) to

I just bought a product call Kava Kava Root (pill form) to help me restore calm and relaxation during the day. At night I take trazadone to help me sleep. I have been unable to sleep at night for awhile. Is it okay to mix Kava Kava with the trazadone. I only take the kava kava in the morning and afternoon if I still feel tense and trazadone at night. Not sleeping has put me in a depression and loss of appetite. I am also a diabetic on insluin.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

Sometimes, having depression will deprive you of sleep, rather than not sleeping giving you depression.

Perhaps your antidepression medication is not effective for you and this is what is adding to your sleep difficulties.

Kava kava works like the antianxiety medications of the benzodiazepine class and probably will not have a negative effect in combination with the trazodone, which is a Serotonin Antagonist and Reuptake Inhibitor (SARI) class of antidepressant. I found no mention of bad reactions using the two. Monitor yourself, but it will probably be fine.

There is another over-the-counter supplement that is very helpful as a sleep aid. It is safe and effective, and widely available. It is called melatonin, and is a natural product produced in the body and in nature, It is well worth trying, and has no apparent harmful side effects and is not addictive

I hope this information helps you.

Warm regards,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC