Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My husband has a very sarcastic mouth and he is always right.

My husband has a very sarcastic mouth and he is always right. What do I do?
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

You have my deep empathy for the way you are being treated. This is emotional abuse, and seems to have become an intractable problem. Your husband is bullying you and has no regard for your sensivity and feelings. You really have three options:

• continue to take it and accept that your husband is this way. You might have to go to individual counseling to learn coping skills.
  • ask your husband to go to counseling with you with a marriage and family therapist. If he refuses tell him that the relationship will not last unless he changes his behavior and that he will not change without some professional help.
  • if you are done accepting his treatment of you as normal, and if he will not seek help, then I urge you speak to a divorce attorney and see what your options are for a settlement in your favor. Perhaps when he gets that subpoena he will change his tune and go to counseling. If not, you always have the further option of getting the divorce and either living alone or finding someone who treasures you and treats you like the good and valuable person that you are.

Warmest regards,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC