Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

My 13 y.o. daughter got in serious trouble with talking/sex emailing with strangers in an online chat room. While talking with her about the implications of what she's done and the severity of the issue etc she stated that yesterday she wanted to kill herself. This actually happend on Friday at 5 p.m. when her dad was picking her and my younger daughter up for his visitation weekend. Both family situations are basically stable; good grades in school; active families on both sides. now i am searching for "what do I do now that my daughter has said she wants/wanted to kill herself. I understand the need to take it seriously. we are signed up for counseling, but do i need to try to remove all razors, rope, gas, etc from the house? do I get an emergency psychiatrict or counseling apptmnt? did she say it to try to get out of being in trouble for the sexting?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
Sorry you are going through this disturbing situation.

You are correct that we always take suicidal threats seriously. Chances are it is about diverting attention from what she has done. But the message we want her to get is that suicidal talk is also not appropriate or if it is NOT just talk, she needs help. When she comes home, ask her if she is still having these thoughts and if so, how would she kill herself. Or is she just wishing she were not alive because of the embarrassment. If she says she has the urge to hurt herself and is afraid of these thoughts, take her to the closest emergency room for an assessment (especially if she talks about hanging or cutting). Otherwise, you can probably wait until her appointment and keep an eye on her. Also make guidance staff aware at school.

Hope this helps and warm wishes for a safe outcome.