Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I was wondering if you could assist me and of course I will

I was wondering if you could assist me and of course I will pay for your services. I take 15mg Aripiprazole, 5mg olanzepine and 2mg clonazepam. My main problem is anxiety and alogia but my doctor won't let me take clozapine which will most likely help with my alogia. She won't let me take it until december as she feels I'havent been this stable in a while which I feel is rubbish as I spoke to family member about my disability and this really helped. What can I do to persuade my doc to let me take clozapine asap because alogia is seriously getting in the way of my social life especially now that Im at uni.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

There are probably some soid reasons that our doctor won't let you take clozapine. Firstly, it is very dangerous, and secondly, there are better drugs for alogia. You are already taking two other antipsychotic drugs as well, and the effective antianxiety drug, clonazepam. .

Clonazepam is a drug of last resort for patients who are not responding to other antipsychotic medications. However, the potentail risk is very high, particularly of developing agranulocytosis. If you take this drug you will be required to have blood testing weekly while on the drug.

Other side effects include bowel infarction, seizures], myocarditis, diabetes, sialorrhea (excess salivation or drooling), and weight gain. If alogia is a serious problem, there are other, less dangerous drugs that are MORE effective than clozapine (although with their own side effects). They are: maprotiline and d-amphetamine.

I trust that this information is helpful to you.

Warm regards,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I live in the UK and I don't think we have maprotiline here. Is there any other drug I can take to improve my alogia besides d-amphetamin?
Dear friend,

You are correct. Maprotiline was marketed in the UK under the brand name of Ludiomil in 1975 but was withdrawn in 2005. It is a tricyclic antidepressant. I do not know why it was withdrawn, but there are stil a number of tricyclics available. The closest to maprotilene is the tricyclic antidepressant called lofepramine.

Here is a great link on this drug, which it seems is an even better medication than maprotilen.

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/lofepramine.htm

Best of luck in finding the relief that you are seeking.

Warm regards,
Elliott
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist