Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Find me/give me website2find gr8 psychiatrist/psychologist.

Customer Question

I live in the uk (coventry) and want to find a great psychiatrist / psychologist. Preferably the former. But there don't seem to be any reviews online. How do I locate someone who is really great in their field?

I have to frank, its corny but this is actually for a friend. Its going to be hard to persuade her to go of itself so the therapist will need to be local and very insightful - if she isn't impressed she definately won't go again!

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 2 years ago.

Part of the problem is that in the UK, psychiatrists are not allowed to advertise. The best way to find one locally is to ask the Practice Manager at your GP practice - very often they keep a list of psychiatrists who practice privately. The other option is to go through one of the private hospital groups like the Priory Group - Google it for more details.

However, you should consider that your friend may not need a psychiatrist at all. It would probably be better and cheaper for her to go to a therapist qualified in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Please see here

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also causes the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/cbtstep1.htm

Also, there is a book called ”Feeling good - the new mood therapy” by Dr. David Burns. It has a hand book which gives you practical exercises to work through and further instructions on how to better use CBT. I really do recommend it.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook for Dummies By Rhena Branch, Rob Willson is also pretty good.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Didn't really answer my question but steered it in another direction. I wanted a quality psychiatrist/psychologist recommendation or answer how to assess who is great in their field. This is advice on a straight forward referral. Whilst this is all very useful for someone else I ask for an expert and fr this type of theapist because there are very big issues and much at stake. Do not want to go into more detail about this on the internet.
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
I am happy to help with your question: The following is a list of Psychiatrist's that are located in your geographic area(Coventry). The information contains name, location and contact information. http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/privatespecialists/find-a-doctor/
I trust that one of these professionals will be able to serve your needs. I wish you the very best, Bill PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience: 35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's