Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My wife is taking venlalic xl 75 mg for post natal depression

My wife is taking venlalic xl 75 mg for post natal depression and for a while now I have been under the impression that she is developing a drink problem. However I am not totally convinced as I never witness her drinking large amounts. Could the appearance of being drunk be related to the tablets?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

There is some anecdotal evidence that taking Venalic (venlafaxine) increases the desire to drink alcohol, and can augment the effects of drinking. (See the following discussion among Venalic users, as one example).

http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/effexor/TF0S3VRNEDUPL1O4Q/p12

According to the manufacturer, drinking alcohol should be not be taken with this medication, or only in moderate amounts (5 oz. wine, 3/4 pint of beer, or 1 oz,. of 100 proof spirits). Alcohol and Venalic act similarly on the brain, and the drug will increase the effects of the alcohol by affecting motor coordination or increasing depression.

Your wife would do well to decrease her alcohol consumption to one drink a day. Even though she may not be drinking a lot, the combination can indeed give her the appearance of being tipsy.

She may be drinking more as well, but if you see no evidence of this, then it is probably the interaction between the drug and the medication.

I hope this gives you more clarity on the matter.

Warm regards,
Elliott Sewell, LCC, NCC