Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.

How do you keep your mind on the happier things in life instead

How do you keep your mind on the happier things in life instead of dwelling on things that cause you to feel depressed ?

Sorry to hear of the situation. There is a specific form of therapy called Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT) that focuses heavily on how we control our attention (what we are thinking about) and how we deal with aspects of life that are painful or difficult. I can highly recommend by Dr Russ Harriss called The Happiness Trap that as a great introduction to this therapeutic approach. The book i easy to read and is written for the genera public. You can learn more about his book at his website

ACT is form of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and as such is usually offered by Clinical Psychologists (although not exclusively). If you decide you want assistance with using this therapeutic approach you can you can contact The Australian Psychological Society for assistance with finding an appropriately trained Psychologist. Take a look at the APS locator service here - you can use this
to find a Psychologist in your area and there is a phone number you can contact if you want a referral arranged for you. Also, take a look at an article published by the American Psychology Association here. It's an interview with a senior Psychologist and covers some of the things you should consider when you looking for a Psychologist. You should also be aware that Medicare subsidizes sessions with a Psychologist in many circumstances, so you may be able to get some help at little to no cost to yourself.

I hope this has been of some help. Please let me know if you have further questions or would like me to clarify any part of my answer.