Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

I have a 52 yr. old daughter in Ct. on unemployment, that is

I have a 52 yr. old daughter in Ct. on unemployment, that is an alcholocic and is veriousally irresponsable. She has had two stints in rehab and we can't afford to pay for another, she has a very accomplished 14 yr. old daughter. We are especially concerned about our Granddaughters well being. The father is non supportive, not in the home an without income. We live in Califormia and have recently spent 6 weks in Ct. tryng to help but to very little avail. What should be our next steps to help our daughter and to protect our Grand daughter. Signed DP very concerned Father and Grand Father
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Is your daughter getting better with treatment?
Has she quit drinking?
Who takes care of her and her daughters financially?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Our Daughter is relapsing frequently. she does go to AA but still does drink and is not very responsable when she does this. It is also disterbing to her daughter. Our daughter is receiving unemployment and has dipped in to her 401K.Her home is in forclosue. My wife and I paid for her rehab and a portion of her rent in the apartment where she now lives with her Daughter and we pay for our Granddaughters schooling and some other Misc. Items . Unemployment is her only weekly income. Again thanks for your consideration.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your response.
I will be back with my answer.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for waiting.
I am so sorry to hear about your 52 year-old daughter's situation.
It sounds like your daughter is addicted to alcohol and has been relapsing, though she attends AA. She has been unemployed and receives unemployment benefit only. I can imagine how sad and worried you must have been about your daughter's and granddaughters'situation.
I would advise your daughter to see a psychotherapist or certified alcohol counselor weekly in addition to AA.
It's likely she also suffers from depression as many people with alcohol dependence or abuse issues.
Alcohol treatment may be a priority. Ideally, she may work with a certified alcohol counselor weekly to avoid relapse and a psychologist/psychotherapist for her emotional problems such as depression.

My question is: is it possible for them to lie with you until your daughter gets better? Ideally, your daughter and granddaughters may be better off living with you for emotional support.

Whether she lives in Ct. or CA, She may need to get alcohol treatment in an inpatient or outpatient setting.

Again, she may need to start working with a certified alcohol counselor or a psychotherapist specializing in addiction weekly.

If she has no health insurance and need a low fee counseling,
she may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (dial 2-1-1) to find community mental health centers in her area where she can alcohol treatment for free of charge or low fee.

Also, she will benefit from attending a support group for adults with alcohol problems such as AA.
Free social support recovery groups are available in nearly every community and can used as a supplement to a more comprehensive outpatient treatment. If you like to find a support group for him, check Mental Health America website section (http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/find_support_group) - Find a group in your area.

If she can move to California, there are alcohol rehab facilities who offer help to those who do not have health insurance and are in need of financial help. Many facilities offer free treatment for those in financial need.

Here is a list of facilities for your daughter:

Salvation Army South ARC Command
ARC - San Diego
1335 Broadway
San Diego, CA 92101 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - Perris XXXXX
Perris, CA 92570 (NNN) NNN-NNNN
ARC - San Bernardino
363 S. Doolittle Rd.
San Bernardino, CA 92408 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - Anaheim
1300 S. Lewis St.
Anaheim, CA 92805 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - Long Beach XXXXX
Long Beach, CA 90813 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - Pasadena
56 W. Del Mar Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91105 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - Santa Monica XXXXX
Santa Monica, CA 90404 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - Canoga Park XXXXX
Canoga Park, CA 91304 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - Carpinteria
6410 Cindy Lane
Carpinteria, CA 93013 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - Bakersfield XXXXX
Bakersfield, CA 93301 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - Fresno
804 S Parallel Ave
Mon thru Sun 8am - 5pm
Fresno, CA 93721 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - Stockton
1247 S. Wilson Way
Stockton, CA 95205 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - Sacramento XXXXX
Sacramento, CA 95814 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - San Francisco XXXXX
San Francisco, CA 94110 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - Oakland XXXXX
Oakland, CA 94607 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - San Jose
702 W. Taylor St.
San Jose, CA 95126 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

ARC - Healdsburg
200 Lytton Springs Rd
Healdsburg, CA 95448 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Cri-help

Details: Comprehensive and affordable treatment facility for adult men and women, in North Hollywood.

Comprehensive residential treatment for men and women, 30 days $5000, but they have county funded free entry for those in need, although with a sometimes long waiting list. Detox is $500 a day, no county funded beds. They use 12 steps, group, individual therapy, family support and education as well as acupuncture. Services offered in English and Spanish.

Contact Details- XXXXX
North Hollywood, CA 91601
1818(NNN) NNN-NNNN

House of Metamorphosis

Details: Affordable drug and alcohol rehab and detox, for adult men and women.
Inpatient drug treatment and detox. Fee based on ability to pay, no one will be turned away for financial reasons. For men and women over the age of 18. Comprehensive rehab treatments, partially funded by the County of San Diego.

Contact Details - XXXXX
San Diego (NNN) NNN-NNNN

The Fellowship Center

Details: For adult men and women, a long term recovery community offering services free of charge to those in need. Therapy offered.

A long term recovery community for those wishing to live in a safe and sober environment. Up to 35 hours of therapy per week is offered. Residents are expected to pay for these services, but no one will be turned away if they cannot.

Contact Details-

737 East Grand Avenue in Escondido,
California, 92025. (NNN) NNN-NNNN

I hope your daughter gets alcohol treatment and psychological treatment, help and support from a certified alcohol counselor or a psychologist/psychotherapist.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,

P.S. Please remember to click the green ACCEPT button. You do not get charged twice; I will continue to answer your question whenever I am back online; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Olsen" in the front of your new question. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience: PsyD Psychologist