Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

ADMIN ONLY! Why do people especially psychiatrist

ADMIN ONLY

Why do people especially psychiatrists think of suicide as a negative idea, or a bad action!! I believe that sometimes you can't handle living & you know that there's nothing can be done about it! No drugs, no thearpy crap! Nothing! Just simply dying is the answer! Why fight it, it's nice to have the final word on ur life! With innocent people dying for no reason all over the world for no reason, why prevent the rest from having the choice to die!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 2 years ago.

cathy :

Hi and thanks for writing JA

cathy :

It is not at all that psychiatrists or other mental health professionals think of suicide as a bad idea rather we know it to be a bad solution. I have worked with hundreds of people who attempted suicide who were beyond relieved when they awoke, either from attempted gunshot wounds or overdoses or jumps from high places. Intelligence is knowing that ending your life is a bad idea if you really just wish to end the pain and since we know you can do that, it makes suicide a very poor solution to ending of pain.

cathy :

As far as therapy crap? LOL
It turns out that millions have been helped to feel better with therapy crap, so I think its easy to say one thing but the evidence says quite another.

cathy :

I hope you are not the one in distress. I have never asked someone to not consider suicide but I always ask them to exhaust all other options first. I think when you can do this you can see that suicide is a poor idea, not just because it does not solve the problem but it damages everyone else around you. I guess if you can be selfless enough to care about those around you you can begin to dismiss the notion of suicide. SO let us know.

cathy :

If you are considering suicide we have a special team here on JA that you can speak with about this. I can let JA know if that is what is going on for you?

Customer:

ummm I see........

cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience: MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 2 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

Cathy has made a truly good point, that therapy can and will help most people turn their will to live back on.

I agree that the injustices in this world are horrific, and that every day so many innocents are being murdered (that is a reason). That doesn't cheapen life; rather it shows that some psychopathic government leaders have cheapened life.

Life is a precious gift. You get one shot to survive, which is our basic instinct. Survive personally and reproduce and nurture others (and you don't have to give birth to nurture others). Life is about finding the strength and courage to overcome our adversity and find a way to earn a bit of happiness, often by giving happiness to others.

I went to a funeral a couple of days ago, of a young woman (38) who took her life because she had relationship problems and no one to talk to about these problems. She not only ended her life, but she shattered the lives of her mother, sister, her two children, and many friends who loved her (the funeral home was filled with tearful mourners). Those closest to her will never recover, and, although we understand that she suffered, we also understand that this was a terrible waste of a life and a devastating act to others.

You CAN overcome this depression and feeling of hopelessness. You have to resist, find your strength, and locate a therapist who you feel you can trust. The senseless deaths of others does not justify yours. Please don't hurt yourself. Get rid of the pain and suffering. Don't get rid of yourself. Find your strength and move forward, please ........... please.

Warmest regards,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You know, you seem like an ok guy.
The thing is I'm not depressed or anything. I just don't care anymore about anything. I'm in no pain, actually I don't feel anything. not happy & not sad. Just nothing! It's like I don't exist!
I'm giving up, nothing is worth it. I'm 23 &I feel like I saw everything that this life has to offer & I don't the picture!!
You too sound like you are a good guy, and I appreciate you getting back to me with your existential statement.

At 23 you havent' begun to live, even if you think you have done and seen a lot. Sometimes depression manifests itself not as feeling "down" but rather as feeling complete apathy - in other words, feeling much as you do about the world and fining life meaningless. You can also experience anhedonia (lack of pleasure) which is also a symptom of depression.

The symptoms you are experiencing could be caused by other ailments, which I should mention. Perhaps you would be willing to get a complete check up to see why you are feeling this way. Here are some other possible causes:

CADASIL syndrome; depression; Alzheimer's disease; Chagas' disease; Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease; dementia; Korsakoff's Syndrome; excessive vitamin D; Hypothyroidism; Hyperthyroidism; general fatigue; Huntington's disease; Pick's disease; progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP); schizophrenia; Schizoid Personality Disorder; Bipolar Disorder, and others. Some medications and the addictive use of drugs such as heroin may also cause apathy.

You can regain your enthusiasm for life. I hope that you will take a chance that your life is still good and it worth living.

Blessings to you,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist