Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years
57558633

Hi, Ive been suffering from anxiety and depression for the

Customer Question

Hi, I've been suffering from anxiety and depression for the last three weeks, I've had it before. What has gotten me thru the last few times is PRozac and Klonopin. Ive weened off Klonopin all together and stayed on the prozac. This time my doctor suggested neruontin. I"m kinda nervous because i hate trying new drugs. the klonopin worked fine in the passed, and i don't want to switch. IF a drug worked for me in the passed, why not prescribe it for me again, instead of switching?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 5 years ago.

Ask Eleanor :

Hello, I am here for you and am happy to respond. Your doctor may have been reluncant to prescribe Clonopin because it is a benzodiazepine and highly addictive. Was it the same doctor who prescribed it before?

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

no it's a different doctor.

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

the doc that gave me klonopin before was not on my insurance, so i switched

Ask Eleanor :

Well, that probably explains it. Is your present doctor a psychiatrist or GP?

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

psychiatrist

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

i'm really afraid of trying new drugs

Ask Eleanor :

Well, that's good. You always want a psychiatrist prescribing psychotropic meds. Benzo addiction is a huge problem and psychiatrists are very reluctant to prescribe them. I understand your fear of a new drug. Did your doctor explain how the neurotin would help you? And, if I may ask, what happen 3 weeks ago to cause your anxiety and depression to resurface?

Ask Eleanor :

Are you there, dear?

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

yep i am here

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

i stopped taking my prozac as prescribed....because i was feeling better. DOH!

Ask Eleanor :

Oh, I see. And when did you begin taking it again?

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

Do you think i will have less problems with the neurontin?

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

I got back on my regular dose about 3 weeks ago. and we just bumped it up

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

from 20 to 30.

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

He mentioned problems with addiction, but i've never had problem with that before.

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

on the klonopin

Ask Eleanor :

I know, but it's just that psychiatrists are more cautious now, it's not really anything personal.

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

so i shouldn't worry about the neurontin. try and take it? I suppose and go his way. If it doesn't work, i can always try the klonopin again

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

he hates benzos

Ask Eleanor :

Did he explain to you how the neurotin would help?

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-f77h8elj- :

for my anxiety

Ask Eleanor :

Well, then I would take the neurotin as prescribed along with your prozac. After a few weeks when the Prozac gets built back up in your system, you will probably not need another medication anyway. Any further questions for me, dear?

Ask Eleanor :

Just checking back to see if you had any further questions. If you have none, please remember to click on the green accept button so that I will receive credit for my professional time and response. I hope you are soon feeling much better, take care, Eleanor