Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years
57558633

I dont feel sad, but Ive been feeling rather numb for the last 1 month. Don�

I don't feel sad, but I've been feeling rather numb for the last 1 month. Don't feel interested in very much anymore, and nothing seems to bring me any pleasure. It's like the volume on my emotions have been turned way down, so to speak. What's worse is that I don't feel like my usual self either. I feel distant from my partner and other people - maybe 'cut off' might be a better way to describe it. I'm functioning at work and am more or less functional in other areas of my life, but feel quite unmotivated and don't feel like I have much to look forward to anymore. The world around me seems kind of meaningless and empty. I don't enjoy my food either - I can taste it, but it's just OK. My appetite has been down a little, too.What is happening to me? HELP! Ani

Ask Eleanor :

Hello, I am here for you and am very sorry to hear you are feeling so flat emotionally. Have you ever felt this way at other times in your life?

Ask Eleanor :

Are you there, dear?

Customer:

no,this is the first time I feel something like this

Ask Eleanor :

And are you generally a person who is able to feel emotions?

Customer:

no

Ask Eleanor :

So you don't normally feel in touch with your emotions, happiness, sadness??

Customer:

No,no I feel! I generally feel.....but not really for the last 1 month.

Ask Eleanor :

Good!! Did anything happen in your life that could have changed your emotional state?

Customer:

For the last month I was in a new job, looking for a property and trying to organize everything els in my way.I also trying to leave with my partner past....ones he choose me!

Ask Eleanor :

Well a new job and a new place to live are big changes. I did not understand the part about your partner. Are you trying to leave him?

Customer:

no, I am just concern about the way I feel now with myself.... witch efect my feelings for my partner.

Ask Eleanor :

I see. Did you move to the UK from another country, dear?

Customer:

Long time ago.

Ask Eleanor :

What about medication. Did you start a new medication recently?

Customer:

No I haven't try.I really don't know how to get in touch with my soul and switch of that brain of main .

Ask Eleanor :

I believe you are suffering from situational depression related to all of the recent changes in your life. This is not uncommon. The symptoms you have of loss of emotion and appetite are those of depression. Have you had a physical checkup recently just to rule out any medical problem?

Customer:

yes I visit my GP and I am fine

Ask Eleanor :

Good, just wanted to make sure. I believe psychotherapy will help you with your depression. Have you considered entering therapy?

Customer:

I don't know what that is......but I am willing to do some counseling.Where you can advise me to go?

Ask Eleanor :

I want you to go to: http://www.bacp.co.uk/ At this site you will find lots of information about psychotherapy and will be able to search for psychotherapists where you live in the UK. Any further questions for me?

Customer:

no thank you