Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years

I only have only one question. I am 59 years and am on Medicare

Customer Question

I only have only one question. I am 59 years and am on Medicare due to issues. I get $ 1700/month. My husband is 79 years and also on Medicare getting 1550/month. Should my husband predecease me will I be eligible to any part of his current Medicare benefits?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 5 years ago.

Ask Eleanor :

Hello, I am here for you and am happy to respond. Let's clarify first. I believe you are asking about Social Security, not Medicare as there are no monthly payments associated with Medicare. I imagine that you have SSI benefits and your husband has regular Social Security benefits. Am I correct?

Ask Eleanor :

Just checking back for your response, dear. Will check again later this afternoon.

I need to know explicitly if a regular SS the recievor dies will his disabled wife (getting social security disabiltiy) - does that surviving spouse who is disabled qualify for a portion of his (regular SS). Your answer identified my confusion of social security and medicare. Specifically I am looking for answers about about social security.

Hello, dear, I am pleased that my previous response helped you. Thank you for your accept. Your disability payments are in the same amount as your Social Security check will be when you reach full retirement age, which I imagine is 66. If your husband pre-deceases you, you are entitled to either his benefits or yours, whichever is the higher amount. In order to get a definitive answer call SS tomorrow at the number in the information below. They are always very helpful. Good luck and take care, Eleanor

Receive benefits from deceased ex-spouse's record

Updated 09/28/2011 10:58 AM | ID# 1811 Can I receive benefits on my deceased ex-spouse's record?

You can receive benefits as a surviving divorced spouse on the Social Security record of a deceased former spouse who is fully insured. If you:

• Are at least age 60, or age 50 and disabled;
  • Were married to the former spouse for at least 10 years;
  • Are not entitled to a higher Social Security benefit on your own record; and
  • Are unmarried, unless the following exception applies: You remarried after age 60; or after age 50 and at the time of re-marriage you were entitled to Social Security disability benefits.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
The benefits paid to a surviving divorced spouse will not affect the benefit amount paid to other family members who receive benefits on the same record.

You can apply or get an estimate of benefits online or by calling

1-800-772-1213 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778)

1-800-325-0778 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.