psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

i think my wife is bipolar. we have gone through several sets

i think my wife is bipolar. we have gone through several sets of friends that she gets to know and then pushes away. she has pushed away her family & mine. noone is allowed to disagree with her. when i've approached her in the past she says it is me causing the problems with other people. this is causing an enormous strain on our marriage. she cannot see it is her. i could fill a room with people who agree that this is her. she is functioning day to day but her "lows" are becoming more frequent and lower all the time. she is never wrong. people are schemeing against her. I think she has cyclothymia with paranoia and narcissism. or maybe i am crazy and she's right. how can i get her to seek help without offending her? this has been a pattern for the past 14 years of our marriage. we've gone through 4 sets of friends in the past 4 years. in a small town word gets around and now we have no one.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 2 years ago.

Bipolar is not usually subject to this paranoia although it can. Bipolar is a combination of mania and depression. Mania is characterized by compulsive activity and poor sleep. Depression of course is the down side or lows. The cycling can be very quickly or very slow. It can be found within families. Her paranoia is going to make treatment very difficult. You cannot have her treated against her will unless she is a danger to herself or others. Otherwise you have to convince her that treatment would help her. Offer to go with her. Try to approach her when she is depressed because she will be more receptive. People are more receptive the more depressed they are. You can't force her so you have to be patient and find the right time. If there is someone she trusts that can talk to her about her mood aside from you they may be able to sway her. Whether that is a church person or her best friend. Try to get her to commit to a few sessions to see if she can engage in the process.

If this has been helpful press accept

psychlady, Therapist
Experience: Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.