Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Ive struggled with depression, drug abuse, pornography addiction

I've struggled with depression, drug abuse, pornography addiction throughout my life. I'm 29 now and things have been much better in the past few years and I started doing meditation and other spiritual practices. However, one thing that never changed is I do not have interest in doing mundane things besides sensorial pleasures (food, sex), intellectual stimulation (studying, thinking about science, spirituality) and getting things done. If I have free time and plenty of money in my hands, I have no idea what to do with it besides the above-mentioned. Any ideas?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 2 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I have read your interesting entry and meditated on it for awhile. I have concluded that you could well spend your time in training for continued spiritual enlightenment.

There is one man who is a wonderful resource in Brazil. His name is XXXXX XXXXX Deus (John of God), known as the Miracle Man of Brazil.

An informational website about this man and his work can be found at:

http://www.healingjourneys.net/index.php

Training for the Spiritual Care for the Dying may still be offered in Brazil. It is run by a couple named Veetman & Sukhi Masshoefer. Information can be found at:

http://www.leben-sterben.de/seminars/brazil_workshop_2010.htm

Another healing and spiritual journey you can take is with a psychotherapist and healer named Luzia who is located someplace in the rainforest. Her link is:

http://www.danae.com/luzia/luzia.html

Here are three suggestions for you to check out. I believe that following and developing your spirituality, with the ultimate goal of becoming a teacher yourself, is one excellent path for you to follow.

Warm regards,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Dr. Elliott,

I appreciate your effort to help me.

I agree entirely with your suggestion for a path to follow - in fact, I have been deeply involved with Pranic Healing since 2007, and I'm on my way to becoming a instructor.

However, my issue does not regard life aspirations. What I lack is interest in normal hobbies (other than my spiritual practices and studies) and interest in people (socializing).

I am good at achievings goals, but I am not great at enjoying such accomplishments. Give me some free time and I don't know what to do with it. Moreover, I feel trapped: I "want to want" to do something for fun, but those desires never come to the surface. And I feel like I'm missing out, like I should be doing something, but I can't figure out what.
Dear friend,

Perhaps you are wishing for something that you don't really need. You think that you are missing out on something, but are already fulfilled.

Sometimes our avocations or hobbies merge with our main activities. I sometimes feel the same way as you do: that i do not have time for outside interests other than my work of helping others, which I sometimes combine with playing music which is a spiritual practice and a self-healing to me, and to some clients.

If you are having "fun" when you are socializing and doing your spiritual practices, then perhaps this "need" to find something to desire to do ("want to want") is really not central to your life.

In psychotherapy the word "should" is one to beware of, especially when it involves something that is not a characteristic that you can't do without.

A hobbie or outside interest should be driven by desire and interest. If you don't have that desire or interest, then you are not really missing something.

I assume that this is not an obsessive thought that doesn't leave you and causes dysfunction in your life. You must reframe this thought and learn to understand that you will act and take up other outside interests when and only when you are inspired to do so.

I wish you continued spiritual awakening. As part of this growth, may you become satisfied with the fullness of your current life, as you continue your spiritual awakening.

Blessings to you.

Warm regards,
Elliott
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.