How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters friend for some time has been telling little things

Resolved Question:

My daughters friend for some time has been telling little things here and there about her home life. Things such as, mom is exploding all time, liitle or no food in the house, threatening to send her to her father,(whom does not have custody, and whom we believe may have been abusive in the past.) When she see him or talks about him see gets very upset and shaken. Mom is mad at her tonight for going to talk to her counselor at school, she turned the hot water off in her shower. Should we call the police?, Children Services? Please help us help her.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
It sounds like your daughter's friend may be experiencing neglect and/or emotional abuse from her mother at times.
Yes, she needs help and support from you and others like Child Protective Services, a social worker, and/or a family therapist.
It's wonderful that she can come over your place.
Yes, she may talk to her school counselor.
But, many children with similar situations may have difficulty telling a school counselor or teacher about their parents.

If your daughter's friend has this difficulty, you may make an anonymous report to a local Child Protective Services (CPS).
CPS may or may not investigate her home.
At least, CPS may be ready to intervene her situation.
Your daughter's friend seems to suffer from her home situation, whether she deals with her mother's neglect and abuse OR a relationship problem between her and her mother.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,

P.S. Please remember to click the green ACCEPT button. You do not get charged twice; I will continue to answer your question whenever I am back online; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Olsen" in the front of your new question. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions