Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

I am doing some research in to a new business, many years ago

Customer Question

I am doing some research in to a new business, many years ago my friend completed my psychology degree (bachelors), and he is looking to do counseling. In Pennsylvania is there any certification he would need to obtain to start this business or is his degree sufficient to get the business rolling while he continues school towards his masters. If the degree is sufficient what can he call himself? Thank you for your reply.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

To my knowledge, no one can hold themselves out to the public for any type of psychological service without proper Licensure at a minimum of a Masters Level. Persons with bachelors degrees can work in publicly funded settings such as a community or state mental health facilities but anything that involves independent practice of any time requires licensure.

Bill :

For Pennsylvania, The follow link will provide the state law and requirements for licensure.

Bill :

I trust that this will help and serves to answer your question.

Bill :

I wish you the very best,

Bill :

please feel free to reply.]

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT